Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Recent Reads: The Chattahoochee Review, Fall 2006

Last week I promised to blog some more about the journals I picked up at the AWP conference in Atlanta, highlighting standout work that's available online. And while I certainly have my flaws, those who know me also know that I always keep my promises!

So here's a follow-up. The Chattahoochee Review (for which I am a contributing editor) generously sponsored my conference registration, and I spent quite a bit of time at the journal's Bookfair table. Which means that I was able to pick up a hot-off-the-press copy of the fantastic (if teensy bit delayed) Fall 2006 issue.

Of course, I was happy to see my own review of Faïza Guène's Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow (trans. Sarah Adams) within. But since that piece is not available online, I'll point you instead to one that is: Amina Gautier's short story, "Pan is Dead." Click here to reach the journal, then click "Current Issue" to reach the list of Fall 2006 contributors. Click again as appropriate for Gautier's piece. And go ahead and read.

As I told Marc Fitten, the journal's editor, in an recent e-mail, Gautier's is one of my two favorite pieces (by writers who aren't named Erika Dreifus) in this issue. The other is Courtney Eldridge's astonishing "Thanks, but No Thanks." [UPDATE ON MARCH 31, 2007: Eldridge's piece is now also online.]

Marc responded with the excellent news that he will be introducing Eldridge when she reads at the New York Public Library's "Periodically Speaking" series on May 8 here in the city. I've marked the date on my calendar and if you're going to be in the area, you should, too.