Monday, October 15, 2007

Post-MFA Career Resources

There's been quite a bit of discussion on two sites I visit fairly frequently (the MFA Weblog and on a couple of threads at the Poets & Writers Speakeasy) on the general topic of what kinds of employment opportunities there are for writers who have earned an MFA.

I've just posted a bunch of resource links over on the Speakeasy. And right away, I thought it made sense to offer them here, too. Here they are:

Academic360.com: (free access) Helpful not just for links to employment offices, but also if you want to compile lists of colleges/universities to contact for adjunct positions within a given geographical area);
HigherEdJobs.com: (free access) This is where I saw the posting that led me to my current job;
Chronicle Careers: (free access) Some overlap w/HigherEdJobs.com, but also offers good articles/features on jobs in (and, occasionally, outside) academe. NOTE: Each summer they advertise for (paid) diarists to chronicle their job searches over the following year. Look out for that, if it interests you (you can do this pseudonymously);
Idealist.org: (free access) Limit your search to "editing and writing" jobs;
MediaBistro.com: (free access, but requires registration to view complete job listings) Good source for jobs in publishing/editing.

AWP JobList listings and the MLA Job Information List are also good, but you need to be a paid subscriber to access them. (I receive the former with my AWP membership; I no longer subscribe to the latter.)

Finally, as everyone who visits this blog regularly already knows, Monday I post a list of "Markets/Jobs/Opportunities." Today's post, for example, included eight non-teaching jobs at colleges/universities; nine teaching jobs; and four (I think) freelance opportunities, plus one paying internship (that one's in Canada).

And as I told everyone over at the Speakeasy, stay tuned for another resource-rich post on fellowships available to MFA grads. (Coming soon, I promise!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool information. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Freelance Job Offers

Lizzy said...

Hi Erika,

Publishers Marketplace has something called a "Publishers Lunch Job Board" (I think!). It does not offer as many listings as mediabistro, but the jobs are updated regularly, with many of the big names in publishing companies posting.

Erika D. said...

Thanks for the comments. Lizzy, is that board available to non-subscribers? Best, Erika

Amy T said...

... and of course Publisher's Weekly always lists industry jobs in the magazine and online at http://jobs.publishersweekly.com/

Erika D. said...

That's true, Amy. I used to look at those as well. Thanks for chiming in.

Anonymous said...

Nice informative article. thanks for sharing and keep sharing such kind of articles, as these articles really helpful for experienced and new comers.
Jobs Career Listing

Erika D. said...

Thank you.