Thursday, October 04, 2007

Seek and Ye Shall Find: Past Work Rediscovered

So the other day I did something most of us do far more often, I suspect, than we'd like to admit: I Googled myself. And I found something pretty interesting.

One of my freelance projects back in Massachusetts was for Barnes & Noble. I researched and wrote an introduction to an edition of Stendhal's Charterhouse of Parma that was planned for reissue within the B&N Library of Essential Reading Series. (To be perfectly honest, one of the reasons I was happy to take on this assignment was because of the many occasions throughout both my teaching [of modern French history and literature] and MFA student years [among fellow fiction writers] that demonstrated not merely how "non-essential" Stendhal has come to be, but how utterly unknown he is, even within those quarters where he should be most familiar.)

I've had my complimentary copies of the finished book for quite awhile now. But I've only just realized that my introduction is available online (click "Features" to get to it). Granted, the online formatting is not perfect, but I don't think it will get in the way of your reading. Enjoy. And please do take a moment to honor Stendhal. He deserves it!

No comments: