Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Wednesday Web Browser: Jack London, Sami Rohr Prize, and Postal Rate Increase

I wandered over to 42opus recently (yes, I admit it--I went to log in and check on the status of three poems I submitted in December) and found Jack London's "To Build a Fire" posted there. I hadn't read that story for several years, and I have to say that reading it in the midst of a cold snap here helps restore perspective (I won't be complaining about the weather anytime soon).
Lucette Lagnado has won the $100,000 2008 Sami Rohr Prize for Jewish Literature. I've been meaning to read her prizewinning memoir, The Man in the White Sharkskin Suit: My Family's Exodus from Old Cairo to the New World. Now I know I have to.
Lagnado likely won't feel the pinch of the latest news from the United States Postal Service. That's right, folks: We've got another postal rate increase to look forward to! (Wasn't it just the other day that the cost of a first-class stamp went up to $.41?) Stock up on those "Forever" stamps while you can. The new rates take effect on May 12.


VelVerb said...

Great blog. I'll be stopping in often now that I've found it. I love the contest announcements, thank you.

Erika D. said...

Thanks, and welcome!