Thursday, January 29, 2009

John Updike, 1932-2009

In case you haven't heard by now, the literary world lost one of its giants this week: John Updike passed away.

I have to confess I haven't read as much Updike as I probably should have by this point in life, though reading through the tributes I've been inspired to go back and read some of the big books I've missed (Rabbit and Bech, that means you). I'm also going to be sure to read his very last book, which will be out later this year (it's a collection of short stories).

As usual, the Literary Saloon has rounded up some of the coverage. Take some time to read at least a few of the pieces about this major American author. What I don't yet see listed there, but recommend heartily, is this article in the Boston Globe, and the video at NYTimes.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally found Updike very difficult to read - sort of in the same realm as Susan Sontag. He seemed to take flights of fancy to push his own envelope, which didn't necessarily make for pleasurable reading. But that's me ...

Anonymous said...

In one of life's little ironies, the NY Times "Books Update" e-mail I just received has ... Sontag and Updike in the top right.

Erika D. said...

Ironic, indeed! Thanks for sharing.